Hi, Im Mark…
A New Zealand and international commercial, land and disputes resolution specialist, and founder and principal of Mark Copeland Lawyers.
I wanted to better serve the needs of my community and make a real difference to people’s lives. And I’m proud to say, we’ve done just that.
The team and I, and our large network of legal specialists, work for a wide range of clients from private local individuals to prominent national and international names, government entities and corporates – here in Rotorua, across New Zealand and around the world.
As a full-service law firm, we could be working on a personal will one day and a major complex international transaction the next. And that diversity is part of what I love about this work. But the major driving force for me is seeing the true difference we make to clients’ lives, on a regular basis.
A little more about Mark
- 30 + years’ experience in law.
- Specialities in commercial, land, alternative dispute resolution and sports laws.
- Chartered member of the NZ Institute of Directors.
- Accredited Farm Debt Mediator under the Farm Debt Mediation Act 2019.
- Director of large-scale agribusiness companies.
- Member of the AMINZ Rural and an AMINZ Sharemilking Conciliator’s Lists.
- One of a select few New Zealand graduates from the Multilaw Academy in Quebec City, Canada – an intensive course for senior lawyers run by the Multilaw group of 80 top law firms, covering international commercial law negotiations.
- Past member of the Advisory Board of the Bank of NZ for Central Plateau Region.
- Chairman of the Appeals Tribunal of the International Paralympic Committee (Germany).
- Immediate past-president and chairman of Paralympics New Zealand and the chair of the Sir Edmund Hillary Outdoor Education Centres of New Zealand (Hillary Outdoors).
- Written and spoken widely and internationally on commercial law topics, particularly on investment and commercial development in the agri-business and technology sectors.
- Member of the New Zealand Law Society Standards Committee Number 2.
- Member of the ANZSLA Australia-NZ Sports Law Association and current International Coordinator of GSLG, a Private Member Global Sports Law Group.
- Founder of and Consultant for specialist governance consultancy, Great Boards New Zealand.
Mark Chairing in April 2023 a complex International Sports Law Arbitration at the Waldorf Astoria Commercial Centre, Dubai, UAE with fellow Arbitrators Alberto Predieri (Italy) and Sami Arap (Brazil)